It is with much pride, excitement, and enthusiasm that I announce that Team Pixel Drop’s submission to the 48 Hour Film Project & HP “Power of Ink” competition has advanced to the FINALS!! We are one of four teams picked from 25 entries from around the world. We will be spending the next 30 days producing a film based on our winning concept that will screen at the Cannes Film Festival!! Congrats to all team members and wish us all luck!! Here is the “Meet the Team” video we produced as part of our submission packet…
RIFF Opening Video
For the second year in a row Metro Productions’ sound designer Curtis Brown has been asked by the Richmond International Film Festival to head up the creation of a short opening video to kick off each RIFF screening. And I helped make it!
After creating 3 super successful 30-second video advertisements for Carpenter’s Tru Cool pillow, Metro Productions put together a short behind the scenes look at some of the aspects of our production process.
This logo animation was created to show the design link between Altria and the AGDC University logo. The client wanted to show that the color blocks in the Altria logo are the same ones used in the flame of the University logo, with the idea that one logo would transform into the other one.
I tried a few different approaches to the animation before reaching the final you see here. One idea started with the blocks exploding and reassembling as the flame, another used a bright flash and the flame shape cutting away from the square. I wanted the feeling of separation and movement through space though, and finally landed on the idea of a cinematic movie opening inspired in part by the falling film strips in the New Line Cinema logo.
Though the movement appears quite simple, the setup was actually a little tricky to pull off. For one thing, the blocks of color are squared off in the Altria logo, while the university logo has them turned diagonally. In addition, the final shape of the blocks had to be cut out in the shape of the flame. I ended up using two different sets of blocks, and reverse-engineered their movement to have them move toward/away from each other along the same basic path. The first set scales down and disappears while the second set scales up to form the final shape. There are only a few blocks with trajectories that meet seamlessly, but it was just enough to make the whole piece appear to transition from the first set of blocks to the second set in the flame shape.
The block transform was achieved by putting the entire set of blocks into a cloner object, and using a plane effector to adjust the position, scale, and rotation of the blocks. I used a random cloner only on the z axis to add a bit of spacial separation during the move. Once I wrapped my brain around it, the execution was a breeze.